RSS Feed

« back
Passport Requirements Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Are you planning a trip to the United States this summer?  If so, there are some important changes to U.S. law regarding passport requirements you should be aware of. 

Starting June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens will be required to present a valid passport, NEXUS membership, Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card or an enhanced driver's licence/enhanced identification card when seeking to enter the United States at  land or water crossings.  Canadian citizens 15 years of age or under will only require proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or a Canadian citizenship card.  Canadian citizens 18 years of age or under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental guardian consent may also present proof of Canadian citizenship alone.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a U.S. law that requires all travellers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, to present a valid passport or other approved secure document when entering the United States from within the western hemisphere. 

For more information about U.S. entry requirements for Canadian citizens, and how to apply for a WHTI compliant document please visit offers a broad range of information (exit/entry requirements, registration of Canadians abroad, traveller’s checklist, etc.) to help you prepare for a safe and enjoyable journey. 

If you have any questions or concerns regarding entry into the United States, or any other federal government issue, please feel free to contact our office.  We look forward to hearing from you.

Website Design by Somnia
© 2017
Mike Lake - Member of Parliament for Edmonton-Wetaskiwin